Hearty, savoury, quick and easy beef stew recipe
Whether it's snowing or raining outside, a cold day or a warm day, we all get those days where we crave a bowl of hearty and savoury beef stew. It just warms the soul and tickles the right spot. I've got a pretty simple and quick beef stew recipe to share, and I especially like to make this when I do not feel like cooking but still want my nutrients. It also comes in handy when I have a lot of work to complete during the night and don't want to spend hours cooking.
A large stainless steel pot for the stew
A pot for boiling potatoes
4 tbsp grapeseed oil (I highly recommend switching to this oil! It's healthiest oil with high vitamin E and polyunsaturated fats)
2lbs of osso bucco (or boneless beef diced in 1 inch chunks)
1 medium yellow onion
3 carrots, cut into approx 1/4 inch thick slices
2.5 cups beef broth
3 medium sized potatoes, diced
4 cloves of garlic, mincedf
1 tsp dried rosemary
2 tbsp parsley (optional, to taste)
Seasalt and ground pepper (optional, to taste)
1. Add oil to the pot on medium heat and add beef into the pot (but do NOT overcrowd the pot). Season the beef to taste. Brown the beef (meaning till you see a nice lil crust to it). Keep doing this step until all the beef is browned. (You may or may not need to add oil just so that your beef doesn't burn).
2. Remove beef from pot and set aside.
3. Add the beef broth to the pot and use a wooden spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the crust tastiness out.
4. Bring the broth to a simmer and add to it: rosemary, onions, carrots, minced garlic, and the beef.
5. Let the stew boil for 1hr on medium heat.
6. In a separate pot, add 5 cups of water and the diced potatoes and let boil for 20-25min. Remove from heat and drain water once the potatoes are cooked (tip: check by poking a fork into the potatoes, it should be easy to glide in).
7. At the 45min mark for the stew, add the potatoes in, mix, and let cook for the remainder 15mins.
8. At the 1 hr mark, you can decide whether you want a more "soup" stew or not. If you want it more soupy, simply add 1 more cup of beef broth. Otherwise, remove from heat.
9. Evenly distribute the stew to serving bowls and garnish with parsley as needed.
Bon appetit! :)